Google

Thursday, June 23, 2005

The New New Torture

Fred Clark says it better than I could. Again.

Here's what I believe:

I believe that torture itself is dishonorable. I believe that failing to condemn torture is dishonorable. I believe that condoning the practice of torture empowers our enemies and puts American lives at risk. And I believe that by embracing the immoral, counterproductive and utterly un-American practice of torture we make America more closely resemble the kinds of infamous and evil regimes we ought never to resemble in the slightest.

I believe that those who defend the practice of torture lessen America. I believe that the condemnation of those who condemn torture lessens America. I believe that Joseph Darby is a great American and that Jeremy Sivits is not.

But I can't believe that we've fallen so far that I actually have to say all these things. I can't believe that we have reached the point where statements like "Torture is bad" and "It is good to condemn torture" are seen as controversial.

A United States Senator spoke the truth. He condemned evil and called it un-American. And then he was forced to apologize.

Jesus God.

His whole post is worth a read and he follows it up with a post explaining what you can do about it.

I've just written to my Representative and Senators in support of the respective bills. I would encourage everyone else to do the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home